Monday, July 27, 2009

Will I REALLY get hired after going to Sanfored Brown Inst.??

I am trying to go to school for Sonography (Ultrasound) I have found out that if you don't go to an accredited school under ARDMS than I have to wait one year after graduation to take my certification test. Everyone says most people won't hire you without this certification so "how in the heck do you work one year in the meantime?" I asked my rep at Sanford Brown Ins in Jacksonville, FL and she said they have job placement etc. IS THIS TRUE?? CAN I REALLY GET A JOB AFTER GRADUATION? ANYONE WHO HAS GONE FOR THE ULTRASOUND PROGRAM AND HAS BEEN HIRED? PLEASE HELP B/C IT'S A LOT OF MONEY! THANKS.

Will I REALLY get hired after going to Sanfored Brown Inst.??
I looked up the accredited programs in FL, and you are right....Sanford Brown Institute is not on the list. It is funny, because in some other states, such as in Houston and Dallas, TX, they are accredited programs! Weird....





Anyhow, I would ask your rep for some contact info regarding recent graduates of their program. Talking to a recent graduate could give you some valuable information. Also, find out which facilities have hired their graduated without RDMS registry. Ask what percentage of graduates have a job in the field upon graduation. Do they guarentee job possibilities after graduation?





If the rep can't hook you up with recent graduates to talk with, I would try to talk to some sonographers in your area. I always suggest that you observe an ultrasound department to get an idea of what the job really involves. Most people have no idea what sonographers really do....it is more than looking at babies! It would be an excellent time to talk to some sonographers about their education. You could ask them what they think of a non-accredited education program. At that time, you could probably talk to the person who does the hiring in the department. You could find out if a sonographer must be RDMS registered prior to employment.





In my experience, all of it in CA, I have never worked with a non-registered sonographer......All of the jobs I have worked required a RDMS registry. There is another ultrasound program in Jacksonville, which is accredited.





St Vincents Medical Center - Jacksonville, FL





www.jaxhealth.com





Is it possible you could try that program instead?





The other accredited programs in FL are:





- Florida


Broward Community College - Ft Lauderdale, FL


Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences - Orlando, FL


Hillsborough Community College - Tampa, FL


Keiser University-Daytona - Daytona Beach, FL


Keiser University-Fort Lauderdale - Ft. Lauderdale, FL


Miami-Dade College - Miami, FL


Nova Southeastern University - Ft Lauderdale, FL


Palm Beach Community College - Lake Worth, FL


St Vincents Medical Center - Jacksonville, FL


Valencia Community College - Orlando, FL





Are any of those in your area? I think you would be better off going to an accredited program. Best wishes.....


No comments:

Post a Comment