Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Legal help regarding financial aid?

I have a BBA in MIS. 2 years after I graduated I decided to get a certification in Web Development @ the local Community College (CC). I completed the FAFSA %26amp; indicated I already had a degree.





I was awarded financial aid. A year later I applied 4 work study. I mentioned the fact that I used to work in the Business Office at the university I graduated from. A financial aid counselor for the CC then told me that I wasn't eligible for work study because I already had a degree and I shouldn't have received financial aid. She then told me I had to pay back the money to the CC.





I didn't have money at the time. I withdrew from classes and I didn't pay them. Now 6 years later I receive a letter from an attorney b/c the CC referred my acct to them.





I need to know if I'm liable. I didn't lie on my application...the CC made a mistake that I wasn't aware of. Should I get a lawyer?





Someone, please help.

Legal help regarding financial aid?
Yes, you are liable. Without getting into to much legal jargon, you cannot receive a benefit you are not eligible for. However, you definitely want to contact an attorney to assist you in negotiating a settlement in your favor.

wedding flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment