Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I want a career in computers, I have no exp., trying to get certs before I go for online degree. anythin else?

In the computer world I have no exp., but want to start right away. And I don't know what I really want to get into, Software Engineering or Network Management, so I'm studying all that I can. Also I'm broke, so I'm doing it all on free websites. My goal is to get knowledge enough to get certifications with A+, Network+, CCNA, then maybe MCSE, and then some knowledge of Java and C/C++. I already know HTML, and I've studied a lot of computer repair to know enough, I think though I'm still studying it. and I started with visual basic to get a little bit of range going instead of freezeing on one thing. Oh yeah, and the job market isn't that great where I'm at so getting an extra part time computer job is kinda hard around here. And I kinda have a wife and 2 kids so if I'm not at work, or studying, I'm with them, so I'm a little full. Any suggestions if I'm doing the right thing? What can I do better? Any Certs that might throw me a better direction.

I want a career in computers, I have no exp., trying to get certs before I go for online degree. anythin else?
I'm not sure how to answer your question. I'm a network admin/sys admin (I do both jobs) yet I have no certs. I can easily obtain them if my work paid for the tests, but I refuse to pay for them on my own. My advice is know as much as possible. Learn to search for the answers, because you will not know everything. Read a lot and as my old boss told me, "Live the life". Sounds stupid, but all this was a hobby to me. My degree is in Speech Pathology and Audiology. I learned it all from reading the Internet, some books, doing it myself (which is the best way to learn!), and asking myself questions.





I think you are starting out good. I live in a small rural area and it took me 3 years to find a job, the pay was horrible but the experience was awesome! I worked on EVERYTHING. It was a local ISP/repair business. I stayed there 3 years until I luckily got in with a growing company and they needed someone with my knowledge. It's embarrassing because no matter how much you know, there's someone who knows way more than you do. That's what I like about the vocation I have chosen, it's NEVER boring. There is always something new to learn!





I'd suggest if you are interested in networking to learn all you can about the Network + exam. Then go a step farther because you will have to configure Cisco or other managed routers/switches. Put an ad in the paper that you will repair computers in your home, that is how my old boss started and he ended up having his own business!





The one thing I can't stress enough is hands on practice. I can remember installing Red Hat 6 and thinking "forget this, I am never touching Linux again." At my last job I ended up doing a lot of the *nix stuff because I knew my way around it (and google too!). I'm not sure which is better though - being a jack of all trades, master of none (like I am) or being a master of 1 or 2 and forgetting about the rest.... I know I enjoy networking and systems administration for 1 business (rather than the 30 I was responsible for at my last job) a lot more than I enjoy doing the computer repair/diagnosing.





Good Luck! You can do it, it just takes time!
Reply:Please try http://www.womenbusinesstraining.com They have lots of information on Business Bachelors and Masters


No comments:

Post a Comment